Sunday, February 3, 2013

my animoto

Hi everyone! Here is my first animoto. I created this animoto for an upcoming Science unit that our Kindergarten and First Grade students will be beginning next week. I chose this particular unit because I feel as though it has a lot of vocabulary that can be difficult for students to understand. I thought that by using animoto, I will be able to show students photographs to  give them a visual representation of each vocabulary word. I did not use all of the vocabulary terms from the entire unit, as I thought it would be too much for them to handle at one time. I also chose to repeat the words and photographs twice, so that we will be able to watch once, and then the second time around I am planning on stopping the video to discuss the words and definitions with my students. I will be showing it to my students next week, so I will let you know how it goes! 



10 comments:

  1. Good job on the animoto! Your music was calming and the pictures were great. Where did you find them? That seems to be were I'm finding the most difficulty-do I go to Flickr commons or google search?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always use google image search when looking for vocabulary photos. It usually works pretty well to find something related to what I'm looking for. That is definitely the hardest part, I think.

      Delete
    2. That's my problem-I immediately go to clip art and forget about google images! Need to readjust my learning! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Nice job! You put that together nicely, I like Mari Beth really liked your pictures. I can't wait to hear about how your students react. How did you like using Animoto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I liked animoto, but I'm wondering if for the purposes of teaching vocab a simple powerpoint will work better? I have used them before, and I like how I can advance slides when we are ready, after having discussed the vocab term. I also like how powerpoint interacts with my smartboard, so I don't need to keep running back to my laptop. I haven't showed it yet though, so I may be surprised. I'll let you know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed your Animoto. I love that each picture has a word that describes the picture and then the definition of the word. I also liked that you repeated everything twice! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, I am a first grade teacher in the Manchester Cohort. I enjoyed your animoto, especially how you choice images that held meaning such as "push". I agree that the animoto is hard to control in regards to pacing and because our students are so young we can't possibly just expect them to read the slides and keep up. There has to be a certain level of dialogue occurring simultaneously. When I did mine, I just showed it the first time and then turned the volume down soft and narrated along with the slides. The third time I turned the volume off and paused on my mimio as needed to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that your animoto was wonderful! I can't wait to use it...since we are teaching the same unit! :) I agree with StephToney that with teaching the students at the age of 5 and 6, we can't expect them to read the slides. I am going to read the slides and turn the volume down as well the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your Animoto. I think it is a great tool to use for vocabulary. Your images matched the words perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This animoto was great. I love the way you add an image first followed by the definition. Great choice of images!

    ReplyDelete